Tuesday, January 11, 2011

17. Have watched an academy award nominated movie from each year (not necessarily the winning movie)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021890/

I wanted to watch these in order from oldest to most recent. The oldest film available on Netflix Watch Instantly was from 1930/1931 -- The Front Page. It was hard to sit through... rough sound, a bunch of men sitting around in a newspaper office.


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024473/

The next film I watched was from 1932/1933 - The Private Life of Henry VIII... throughout the whole movie I kept thinking.. just shoot me now! It was sad and very long. One of his wives at the very beginning was talking about how to act when one was being beheaded. :-( I think I will have to read a book about him but I am *not* ever going to watch this again!


After watching those 2 I decided I would watch something more current... believe it or not I had never seen Rain Man (nominated and won 1988) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095953/-- tear jerker!! Not sure why I never watched this in the past... I liked it made me sad and made me happy... any movie you can laugh AND cry watching is a good movie IMO.


Now as I blog, I am watching In Old Chicago (nominated in 1937) on Netflix with my friend Tami (hi Tami!!) even though she is in Las Vegas and I am in Tennessee. (Isn't technology amazing??) Now one of Tami's first questions was "Are you just watching this because it is available on Netflix Watch Instantly?!" My reply, "You betcha!" LOL Now after we started watching and researching it a little more I am actually excited about watching it. It is a "musical" of sorts. It is based on the story of Mrs. O'Leary and her cow that started the Great Chicago Fire. It is also one of the most expensive films made at the time of production ($1.8 million)... The main reason I like this one is ever since Tami told me the basis of the film I've had the song running through my head!
Late one night
When we were all in bed
Old Mrs. O'Leary
Left a lantern in the shed

And when the cow kicked it over,
She winked her eye and said,
"There’ll be a hot time
In the old town, tonight."

Spoken:
"FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!"

2 comments:

Tamarra said...

a musical???? NO WAY was this a musical LOL

Terri McCarter said...

She sang SEVERAL songs = musical of sorts LOL

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 101 things in 1001 days 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates